Indigo combines the individuality of boutique hotel design, and the quality assurance of a major brand (IHG).
The project was one of the first hotel INDIGO’s to appear in the UK and has become one of the most popular hotel destinations in Glasgow.
Originally constructed in 1892, the former Italian Palazzo-style building on the corner of Waterloo Street and Blythswood Street was home to the city’s first electric lighting station. The huge dynamos in the basement were switched on little over a decade after the American inventor Thomas Edison patented the electric light bulb so the building is extremely important in the context of the revolution that Edison created. The building then underwent substantial changes in 1930 giving the building its modern grid-iron city centre appearance, which it retains to the present day.
One of the main interventions we made to the fabric of the existing building was to remove the central staircase. This immediately allowed us to open up the ground floor plan, maximising street activation. This principle move together with a proposed set-back rooftop extension provided an additional 25% of bedroom accommodation and was instrumental in the viability of the project, allowing it to be funded and constructed.
Our team worked closely with Glasgow City Council Heritage staff and Historic Scotland to exploit some of the existing features of this important building. The existing ornate plasterwork of the ceilings and bulkheads on the former ground floor showroom dating back to the 1930’s were retained and we also successfully preserved and maintained the existing Art Deco black granite shop front openings at street level. These decisions have helped the completed building to retain its strong identity and carry this into its new life as a hotel.